A RURAL Queensland family has made it their mission to turn their unimaginable grief into life-changing fundraising efforts to help others, in honour of their baby girl who passed away last year.
Zara’s Day is a fundraising initiative in loving memory of Zara Hilary Boshammer, and this year is taking the shape of an online raffle and online auction to raise critical funds for the Steve Waugh Foundation and the Royal Flying Doctor Service (RFDS) Queensland Section.
RAFFLE & AUCTION DETAILS BELOW
In a devastating blow no parent should ever have to experience, Kate and Justin Boshammer of Condamine in the Western Downs tragically lost Zara at almost seven months of age last November, to an extremely severe and rare disease, Pallister Killian Syndrome (PKS).
Zara was one of around 25 children in Australia, and around 500 worldwide, diagnosed with the condition, which has no known cause or cure. PKS affects children in many different ways, with a broad spectrum of medical and developmental challenges. It is just one of many rare conditions that affect over 400,000 children and young adults in Australia.
Kate and Justin, along with their five-year-old son Theo, are focused on making a difference for families and children whose lives are impacted by rare disease. The Steve Waugh Foundation is “somewhere to turn” for these families, and provides life-changing support through grants for therapy and equipment, to help children survive and thrive.
The RFDS is another cause close to the Boshammer’s hearts, particularly since they received two critical flights with Zara from Miles to Brisbane, to access a high level of medical care at Queensland Children’s Hospital.
“Our beautiful baby Zara was with us for nearly seven months, and we hold a deep gratitude for the blessings she brought to our lives,” Kate Boshammer said.
“Zara’s time with us, and the journey we travelled with her, was both challenging and life-changing. Zara will forever be part of our family, and the gifts she gave us will stay with us always.
“It is because of our experience with Zara that we now have a purpose to help make a positive difference in the lives of others affected by rare disease and life-limiting conditions, through Zara’s Day.”
Kate and Justin said they were grateful to those who have supported their mission so far, with $150,000 already being raised in Zara’s honour.
On the afternoon of Zara’s funeral, over 200 friends, family, and supporters from far and wide gathered in their garden at “Elgin” in a monumental show of support.
“The day we said our final goodbyes to little Zara was a day of heart-wrenching grief and indescribable sadness. It was also a day of true connection, love and support,” Kate said.
“We witnessed overwhelming community spirit and philanthropy beyond what we could have ever imagined.
“Together, we raised an incredible $150,000 for the Steve Waugh Foundation, the RFDS Queensland Section, and funded two high flow oxygen facilities for our local Miles Hospital.”
Kate said she believed Zara’s Day embodies her heart’s purpose as a mother, and is a place to channel the family’s deep gratitude and enduring love for their baby girl.
“We appreciate those who have supported us – and continue to support us – in honouring and remembering Zara, and we thank you for sharing in our journey,” she said.
“Together we are ensuring that Zara’s life will continue to make a difference in the lives of many others for a long time to come.”
You can help by following Zara’s Day on Facebook and Instagram – and telling a friend to do the same – and signing up to the mailing list at www.zarasday.com.au.
You can support behind the raffle (open 14 October – 14 November), and auction (open 29 October – 7 November) by buying raffle tickets and placing your bids to give generously to help change the lives of others.
Zara’s Day Online Raffle
● Opening Thursday 14th October 2021, closing Sunday 14th November 2021
● Raising essential funds for the Royal Flying Doctor Service Queensland Section – providing a critical, life-saving service across our regional and remote communities (www.flyingdoctor.org.au/qld)
● $10,000 worth of incredible raffle prizes on offer
● When the raffle is open, visit http://www.zarasday.com.au to buy tickets.
Zara’s Day Online Auction
● Opening Friday 29th October 2021, closing Sunday 7th November 2021
● Raising life-changing funds for the Steve Waugh Foundation – supporting and enhancing the quality of life for children and young adults impacted by rare disease across Australia (www.stevewaughfoundation.com.au)
● Over $47,000 worth of quality auction items
● When the auction is open, visit http://www.zarasday.com.au to view the auction items and place your bids.
How you can help
● Follow Zara’s Day on Facebook (www.facebook.com/zarasday) and Instagram (www.instagram.com/zarasdayfundraising)
● Share with your friends and invite them to follow Zara’s Day
● Visit http://www.zarasday.com.au to sign up to the mailing list and learn more
● When the raffle and auction are open, please buy some raffle tickets and bid up!