COUNTRY CALLER FOOTBALL COVERAGE SPONSORED BY INTURA
By CAITLIN CROWLEY
NINETEEN-year-old rugby league sensation Selwyn Cobbo will fulfil a life-long dream to play Origin football next week having been named in the Maroons squad for Game 1.
The former Cherbourg Hornet junior takes the field as one of four Queensland Maroons debutants, including fellow Bronco Patrick Carrigan.
Cobbo’s blistering form on the wing for the Brisbane Broncos has earned him the Number 2 jersey.
Reuben Cotter and Jeremiah Nanai from the North Queensland Cowboys also received their first Origin call-up.
“They picked themselves,” Queensland Origin Coach Billy Slater said at a press conference this morning.
“I spoke to young Selwyn last night and they’re great phone calls. I remember my first phone call and they stick with you for the rest of your life.”
When asked how Cobbo reacted to the news, Slater said “he said thank you a few times.”
“What you see is what you get with Selwyn,” he said.
“He’s taken the game by storm. He’s really lit the game up and adds so much excitement.
“He’s doing a lot right that we don’t focus on as well, which is a big reason why he’s there.”
On Cobbo’s selection on the wing, Slater said it’s a “position that we have been a little bit skinny in the past.”
When a young Cobbo missed out on Queensland selection in his junior years, his father Shamus encouraged him to be patient.
“I kept saying to him, wait for the big one mate.”
Now that wait is over.
Queensland selectors have also rewarded the consistent efforts of Charleville’s Kurt Capewell.
Daly Cherry-Evans will captain the Maroons for a fourth consecutive series.
Game one is next Wednesday June 8th at Accor Stadium in Sydney.
Queensland Maroons Game One squad
- Kalyn Ponga – Newcastle Knights
- Selwyn Cobbo – Brisbane Broncos
- Valentine Holmes – North Queensland Cowboys
- Dane Gagai – Newcastle Knights
- Xavier Coates – Melbourne Storm
- Cameron Munster – Melbourne Storm
- Daly Cherry-Evans – Manly Sea Eagles
- Tino Fa’asuamaleaui – Gold Coast Titans
- Ben Hunt – St George Illawarra Dragons
- Josh Papalii – Canberra Raiders
- Kurt Capewell – Brisbane Broncos
- Felise Kaufusi – Melbourne Storm
- Reuben Cotter – North Queensland Cowboys
- Harry Grant – Melbourne Storm
- Lindsay Collins – Sydney Roosters
- Patrick Carrigan – Brisbane Broncos
- Jeremiah Nanai – North Queensland Cowboys
- Tom Dearden – North Queensland Cowboys
- Jai Arrow – South Sydney Rabbitohs
- Thomas Flegler – Brisbane Broncos
- Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow – North Queensland Cowboys
- Murray Taulagi – North Queensland Cowboys