POLICE have confirmed Miles man Jonathan Martin died of a stab wound suffered at a home on Hawkins St on Tuesday night, as investigators work to determine what led to his death.

QPS Inspector Garry Watts said Mr Martin went to the home with another man about 9.45pm. There was an altercation at the home with a third man, during which Mr Martin suffered a stab wound to the chest.

Police were called just after 11pm and found the alleged victim unresponsive. He was taken to the Miles Hospital but could not be revived.

“There was some sort of altercation – we’re still trying to piece together exactly what transpired – but as a result the deceased suffered an injury to his chest and collapsed,” Insp Watts said.

“He was treated by QAS at the scene and conveyed to the Miles Hospital, but unfortunately he passed away at the Miles Hospital.”

Insp Watts said investigators had spoken to multiple witnesses, and others in the Miles community, but made no further comment on what they believed the altercation related to.

No further description was provided of the implement used in the stabbing.

“The post mortem examination is being undertaken and I’m not prepared to elaborate on the injuries at the moment,” Watts said.

“We don’t have anyone in custody at the moment and we’re seeking the public’s assistance. If anyone knows any information relating to the death they can contact crime stoppers or Miles Police.”

Jonathan Martin with his longterm partner, Sue


THE identity of a man whose death in Miles is being treated as suspicious has been revealed as 44-year-old Jonathan Martin.

Mr Martin died on Tuesday night, March 21, after police were called to a home on Hawkins St just after 11pm.

He was found unresponsive at the home and was transported to Miles Hospital, where he was declared deceased.

The Caller understands Mr Martin had suffered stab wounds.

Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding the death, which is being treated as suspicious.

Mr Martin, who’d moved to Miles from Chinchilla only recently, is the stepfather of two young girls and had been in a long term relationship with their mother.

A close friend told the Caller his family was shocked and traumatised by their sudden loss.

“I spent time with his Mum yesterday and she’s just devastated. Jono was her baby boy, her only son,” she said.

“(His partner) is not well at all. It’s so tragic for her and their two girls.”

Anyone with information, CCTV or dashcam footage from Hawkins St at the time of Mr Martin’s death (about 11pm on Tuesday, March 21) is urged to contact police.

Previous articleArt lovers hanging out for Grammar gallery opening
Next articleMaranoa prepares for kaleidoscopic Easter Sunday
Country Caller founder and editor

Leave a Reply